Learn to know the town by means of walks, tourist-information system consisting of information boards placed on important buildings and by means of a booklet giving important information about attractiveness of the given objects and making orientation in the town easier. You find here three topic walking tours: a small circle, a middle circle and a large one. The small circle takes about half an hour, the middle circle about an hour and the large circle about one hour and thirty minutes walking. It is possible to combine these circles together. Become guides to yourself!
27. The Chelčického náměstí
This square with a medieval fountain in the middle can be found on the
site of the former settlement of Žitník. Archaeologists uncovered an
unknown single nave church dating from the beginning of the 12th century.
It had a huge tower and a semicircular apse. 258 graves, some with
preserved tombs were found around this church. The cemetery ceased
to exist after the town of Žatec expanded.
28. The half timber house
It is the only preserved timber house in Žatec and also one of the oldest buildings of its kind in the Czech republic. The study of the timber used to build this house dates it back to circa 1673. It was built in the Mlynář suburbs and the architecture is largely influenced by German Renaissance.
The outstanding quality of the carpentry can be seen especially in the northern facade.
29. Ludwig Engl
The teacher, local chronicler and conservator Ludwig Engl (27.12.1872-
09.07 1936) lived in this house. He also wrote a few articles about the
history of the town. His archaeological collection is on display in the
Museum of Science in Vienna and his outstanding collection of the
graphic arts of Žatec dating back to the time around the World War I
proves his quality as a graphic artist.
30. The Kostel sv. Jakuba Většího
It was built on the site of an older church at the end of the 15th century. It was originally a main town cemetery church. In 1765 a tower with two bells was added. Inside, there is the remarkable tombstone of Maxmilián Hošťálek´s first wife Kateřina and her
six children. Also, an iconostasis from the 17th century and the original altarpiece can be found here. Since the World War II it has served the Orthodox Church.
31. The Kapucínský klášter
The Franciscan Monastery with the Church of
the Coronation of Our Lady was built near the
former Red Gate between 1676 and 1684. The
quadrate-shaped monastery has a large garden
with arcades and a cloister garth. There is an
early Baroque altar there and the inner decorations
date back from 1705 to 1710. In front of
it there were originally the sculptures of St. John
Nepomuk, St. Barbora and the Holy Family.
32. The primary school
Žatec was the metropolis of the world hop-growing trade in the 19th century. Because of the high increase in the number of inhabitants it was decided that a new school would be built
near the Franciscan Monastery in 1876. The architect Karel Schlimp designed the 97 metres long building - the biggest basic school in the region at that time. It was ceremonially opened on 2nd September 1880.
33. The Grammar School
A unique example the of Art-Nouveau architecture
in the town. The building, which
replaced the old grammar school in the
Floriánské square, was designed by the architect
Ernest Schafer of Liberec. Josef Zítek, the
author of the National Theatre in Prague, sat
on committee of the architectural competition.
It was ceremonially opened in 1903 and
called the Grammar School of František Josef I.
34. The Hop Institute Ltd.
The Research Hop Institute was founded in 1952. The present Hop
Institute Ltd. has been placed in this building since 1974. The breeding
hop gardens are part of its premises. The main aim of the research establishment
is to study genetics of the hop, its cultivation, it is engaged in
the research of hop pests and it also devices the hop plants protection
systems. The Institute is the only producer of new hop species in the
Czech republic. There is also an experimental brewery where there is a
beer kettle with a capacity of 60 litres.
35. The Kostel sv. Václava
The first report of the church dates back to 1357 but it is probable that it had already been founded in the 12th century. The way it looks now is the result of Baroque adaptation from the 17th century. The church bells were cast by Zachariáš Ditrich in Prague in 1757 .The cemetery round the church was surrounded by a wall, the stones of which were taken from the Red Gate after it had been pulled down in 1836 and the wall
needed to be repaired.
36. The iron cantilever bridge
Originally, a chain bridge used to
stand here, which was the first of its
kind in Bohemia. The chambers
that were used to attach the bridge
structure to them are still well-preserved.
At that time, it was the only
access road linking the town and the quarter situated behind the river called Dvorník. It was designed by the leading pioneer in the building of chain bridges Bedřich Schnirch. In 1895 the construction of the present cantilever bridge started, and it
was opened on 13th June 1896.
37. The former Dreher Brewery (see the photo on the front page)
A new brewery with a malthouse was founded in 1898 by a group of
Žatec businessmen. Shortly after that, 85,000 hectolitres of the Urstoff
beer and a special brand of beer called Svatý Hubert were brewed here.
The aim was to publicise the unique quality of the Žatec hops and brewing
barley all over the world. The local products were also exported -
mainly to Germany and America. At the time it served as an example of
the most up-to-date brewery for other beer-makers in the Austro-
Hungarian Empire. Later, it was called the Dreher´s Export brewery.
Unfortunately, it was closed down after the World War II.