Learn to know the town by means of walks, tourist-information system consisting of information boards placed on important buildings and by means of a booklet giving important information about attractiveness of the given objects and making orientation in the town easier. You find here three topic walking tours: a small circle, a middle circle and a large one. The small circle takes about half an hour, the middle circle about an hour and the large circle about one hour and thirty minutes walking. It is possible to combine these circles together. Become guides to yourself!
Hop and Beer Templ
This tourist complex is located in Zone of technical monuments of the hops industry and is known as the "Mecca of hop growers and beer drinkers". It is also a candidate for the UNESCO World Heritage Site. The tourist centre of Hop & Beer Temple consists of several interestin parts. The Hop Lighthouse with unique 3D projection inside the elevator. At the end of the Labyrinth the treasure of our region can be found. Interesting is also an esposition in the Heraldic Hall or our unique fully functional Hop Astrnomical Clock. Monastery gardens offer space for relaxation and the renaissance Malthouse Gallery an exhibition of modern art. At the Mini-Brewery "U Orloje" is fresh, unpasteurized "live beer" brewed in front of visitors. The brewery restaurant provides room to relax, enjoy a pleasant atmospehere and taste regional dishes. In summer months, guests can also use the courtyard of the brewery restaurant. The southern garden with a children`s café offers room for games and fun.
13. The Kostel sv. Víta
On the cobbles there is marked a
ground-plan of an early Romanesque
church. At the beginning of the 11th century
St. Vitus Church was originally founded
as a wooden construction inside a residence
surrounded by a wall. Later in the
same century, it was rebuilt into a stone
single nave church with a semicircular
apse. After the foundation of the
medieval town in the 13th century, the place was no longer used as a cemetery
and was only used as a chapel. The church ceased to exist after 1409.
14. The Hussite Bastion
It is the only preserved bastion of the town
fortifications dating from before 1463. In
the oldest picture of the town of Žatec
from the beginning of the 17th century,
two other sizeable bastions can be seen
on the western side of the town. After
1836 it served as a residential house. A
part of it collapsed in 1946 and had to be
newly built. At present, it houses the
Homolupulus Museum - the museum of the "ancient civilisation".
15. The Town Theatre
The local theatre, older than the National Theatre in Prague, is one of the first
provincial theatres in the Czech Country. The foundation stone was laid in
1848. A year later the theatre, in the Late-Classicist style, was ceremonially
opened. Its impressive curtain, dated to 1948, was painted by the prominent
Czech artist Oskar Brázda.
16. The Nerudovo náměstí
The square is lined by hop store houses from
the turn of the 19th and the 20th centuries. In
the Middle Ages there was a settlement called
Brandejs and St. Michael´s Church. The early
medieval graves of vampires were found near
here. Archaeological findings proved that the
site served as a burial place at least until 1616.
The local charnel house was a place of interest. In 1788 Brandejs was affected
by a big fire, not only the church but also 91 houses and 24 barns were
17. The Smetanovo náměstí
In the 19th century, this square was called the
"Cattle Market". In this place cattle were bought
and sold from the Middle Ages. The square,
where there are mainly administrative buildings,
was renovated in the 1990´s. In the middle there
is the St. Nepomuk´s Column with a cross, five
stars and a sprig which dates back to 1700. It was
restored in 1884.
18. The Chmelařské náměstí
On the site of the well-known seal hall there is a hops manufacturing area. In
1932 there was a memorial erected near the gatehouse. The reliefs of the significant
hop growers Theodor Zuleger, Josef Fisher and Dr. Hans Damm can
be found on it. About ten metres behind the memorial, in 1937, the biggest
Czech silver treasure trove from the beginning of the 11th century was found.
Archaeologists proved that in the close neighbourhood there was metallurgical
production and the processing of non-ferrous metals dating back to the times
when the place was used as an ancient settlement.
19. The Křížova vila
The building is located in the town quarter
called Skotník. Its name is closely connected
with the district judicial councillor
JUDr. Wilém Kříž who owned the place
until the end of the World War II. Its former
owner organised fruit fairs in its garden.
The facility is a unique example of
the Neo-Renaissance architecture and
also of the prosperity of Žatec at the end of the 19th century.
20. The Čeradická brána
The Čeradická Gate (also named Majnušská Gate) used to be part of the
Prague suburban fortification. Despite the fact that it was pulled down as late
as in 1834, the only surviving picture of it dates from 1611. Its real size and
exact location was found out during archaeological excavations in 1996. The
"Winter King" Frederick of the Palatinate used this gate to enter the town in
October 1619 on his way from Kadaň to his coronation in Prague.
21. The Protestant Church
In the second half of the 19th century Žatec began
spreading southwards from the former Wussin, today
Comenius, avenue. In addition to the residential houses,
there were new schools, hospitals and parks founded.
At the point where the old routes to Žatec met, a
stone signpost has been standing until today. Near this
place, the Protestant Church in the Pseudo-
Renaissance style was built between 1897 and 1898.
It was designed by Josef Petrowský.
22. The Regionální muzeum K. A. Polánka (see the photo on the front page)
The museum is placed in the building of the former local hospital, from 1857.
In the garden there is a chapel with a tomb of its founders. After 1899 there
was an orphanage and since 1938 the building has been used as a regular
museum. Its prominent exhibitions are devoted to prehistoric times in the middle
Ohře valley, the history of Žatec and the largest collection of hops tokens
in the Czech republic. There is a memorial plaque on the wall next to the main
door in memory of the archaeologist Helmut Preidel.
23. The Chmelařské museum
The Hop museum contains the largest
exposition of its kind in Europe. The exhibition
shows the development of the
hop industry since early Middle Ages
until now in the territory of 2,500 square
metres. What is unique about the museum
is the preserved kiln used for making
pottery from the 14th century that was
discovered during reconstruction works. The surrounding area is also special
because of a large number of packing rooms, drying kilns and store houses
from the turn of the 19th and 20th centuries, the Golden Age of the Czech
24. The Renesanční sladovna
The building, earlier mistakenly considered to be a Chapel of Corpus Cristi, is
the symbol of the Žatec beer-making industry. It was founded to be used as a
Renaissance malthouse with a malt kiln and a well in the court-yard. It was
used in that way from at least 1681 and 1775. Later, it was turned into a town
granary. Finally, in 1801 it became a dwelling place.
25. The Pražská brána
Until 1821, there stood the Prague Gate with a huge fortification placed ahead
of it. It consisted of the gate itself and a tower, in front of which there was
another fortification with an outer tower and a bridge over the town moat. In
front of the bridge there used to be another fortification with two bastions. After
1621, the head of the executed Mayor Maxmilián Hošálek was attached to the
Prague Gate as a warning to others. The three arches of the Gothic stone
bridge are still accessible from the cellar of the house no. 243. A part of the
outer fortification dating from the 15th century, an archway with two cannon
loopholes, has been preserved between the house no. 243 and the bus station.
26. Adolf Seifert
MUDr. Adolf Seifert (*4.3.1826 +11.6.1910), the author of the fundamental
works of history about Žatec, lived here in his parents-in-law´s house. His books
have been largely employed and quoted by historians as a source of information
on the history of the town until now. He was active here also as a politician,
and a charter member and a president of the Žatec Hops Association for
a long time.